Subscription

Books
Shop
About

Friday, November 26, 2010

MathWorld

MathWorld is a little online math encyclopedia.
It has been popular since the late nineties.

Learn math in little bits by clicking around or by entering search terms at MathWorld.
For example, here is the entry on the Arithmetic Mean - the commonest "average."

Nifty, eh?
Now try to answer this question applying the arithmetic mean:
Five students in a class have an average age of 20 years.
Of the five, three of them have the same age.
Fill in the list of their ages: 18, 21, x , y , z

Note: only whole numbers are allowed.

1 comment:

  1. In case you want the answer, there are two correct answers:
    two more 18s, with 25 to complete the set;
    or two more 21s, with a 19 year old.
    There are no other correct answers.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

My Other Blogs

  • Independence Anniversary - NEWSBUKA for all the burning topics in Nigerian society and beyond. GeT FREE EmAiL UpDaTeS." *Advertisement:* booksss about boyz and girlz.
    1 week ago
  • I play FLAGLE every day - Question: everyday or every day? Or every-day, a brand-new spelling. Not brand new nor brandnew?I play more than twenty games every day. The funny thing...
    1 week ago
  • trip - Coldplay - A Film For The Future (2025) Want fine African Literature? (Preview) Nigerian Lifestyle A-Z at REALbubbler.blogspot.com
    3 weeks ago
  • One dream ends - I asked AI to make a flag. (Second attempt) *Twenty years ago*, I was living in California, missing Nigeria, and so I created this blog, UpNaira, my s...
    1 year ago
  • It's time... - but don't go away. Keep up with my other blogs. Read my books. Stay mathy. ✌
    3 years ago

About Me

Followers